Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods! Aly simply cannot understand why I would love a fungus so much, but they are so delicious and extremely nutritious that I can hardly pass them by. I could make an entire meal of sautéed mushrooms! And I simply love looking at all the varieties of mushrooms in our market … there's always tons.
Here are a few tips on mushrooms:
- When you buy them, try to buy them where you can pick out your own rather than buying the ones in the cartons.
- When you picking them out, reach toward the back of the bin to choose them. That's where the produce department puts the freshest ones. ;)
- If the outside of them feels dry at all, reach for another one. They should feel a bit moist. Like they've just put cream on.
- Rinse if you must, but a good wipe with a clean cloth or paper towel is plenty of cleaning. The rinsing tends to add too much water and if you are sautéing, you'll have a harder time getting that browning that makes them so yummy.
- By all means, slice them yourself! I understand the convenience of buying already sliced mushrooms, but the quality of a whole mushroom that is freshly sliced is immeasurably better.
- Store mushrooms in a paper bag.
- Store mushrooms away from any strong-smelling foods as they absorb lots of flavor.
- Which is why they are so yummy sautéed with garlic or shallots and doused with a bit of red wine!
Can you guess what is on our menu tonight?!