I've been so busy Living that I've neglected my Simply Living Series. I didn't mean to. Really! I even have a huge list of things that I can put in this space … I just haven't taken the time to do it. Will you forgive me? It's the right thing to do and you know it!
Moving on …
The fall season, for me, is better than Spring in terms of getting things cleaned out and straightened up. I think it has to do with the knowledge that the holidays are coming and there will be the inevitable increase in clutter. There's also the possibility for more guests and, if you know me at all, you know that I love a cozy home and love even more to share it with other people. So, today, I share with you a few things I do to create the Home Cozies …
- Light candles! The more, the better, in my opinion. And if you have a favorite candle holder, be sure to use it! (I love the quote on their front page: "fly, fly sweet summer wind/darkness comes to call/the seasons are changing/I must light the colors of fall.") My favorite Autumn fragrance is Spiced Pumpkin. I light it from September through Thanksgiving.
- Make fresh flower bouquets. We are so fortunate here in the NW to be able to get huge, gorgeous bouquets of flowers for $5-10 at the markets or on the street corners, but even if this is not your reality, you can get nice bouquets at most supermarkets without breaking the bank. I also was able to get some silk/fake arrangements at Michael's a couple of years ago that really looked nice (and again, if you know me at all, FAKE is not in my vocabulary! I like the real deal), but these look nice. I cover them with plastic garbage bags to store them and keep dust off.
- Use plenty of lamps. Ambient lighting is so much more cozy than overhead fixtures.
- Put lamps in unexpected places, such as on the bathroom vanity or in the laundry room. I have lamps in both of those places and as far as doing the laundry goes, it is so much more pleasant to fold endless amounts of laundry to lamplight than it is to fold it with that glaring overhead light!
- When the weather is getting cooler, pull out the quilts and throws and stash them near the sofas and plush chairs. So cozy to watch TV, listen to music, or cuddle with a special someone with a quilt wrapped around you.
- Decorating for the season doesn't have to be expensive. Buy apples for eating, but display them in wooden or ceramic bowls. Go 'pine-cone-picking' with the kids and pile them up in baskets near the fireplace. Stack pumpkins on your porch! Talk about cozy …
- Play music. Ah. That just sounds good. If your family is musically gifted, enjoy the practice times and playing together. If you prefer iTunes ;) or the radio, put on something that gets you going, or calms you down, or that somehow sets the mood you are in. (My Em and I think that cooking with Michael Buble is a wonderful thing to do … he makes a good sous-chef!)
Those are my 7 GoTo Cozy Tips for today … "7" is my favorite number.
I thought I would link you up to another blog that I read called Nesting Place. I'm not sure where I first came across it, but wanted to share that she is now doing a series called "31 Days to a Better Dressed Nest". She is offering an idea to do each day to make your 'nest' more cozy. Apropos? Oui, vraiment. She is only on Day 5 so you should be able to jump right in! I was planning to follow her lead, and I have already moved furniture in my house, given stuff away, used plants, and created an element of surprise. Today was "Paint Something" and I just didn't have time! Four out of Five ain't bad!