I feel that I am starting from way behind the Start Line today, like everything has the advantage on me, and I'm scrambling to catch up. I will eventually catch up (to a point anyway!) and yet, I had to steal a few moments from my to-do list this morning to think about the good things in my life, what is most important, and to be grateful.
I'm taking a two-week class over at JessicaSprague.com called Type + Writer 2 (I already took the 1st class) and an exercise they are recommending in addition to the other writing assignments is that we simply write three things each day that we are grateful for. This is really not a hard exercise and usually takes me less than 30 seconds, but sadly, I found that my natural tendency is to focus on things that I don't want to have present in my life. In other words, I tend to think about things that I am NOT grateful for. When I set my mind to concentrate on blessings, I find my heart overflowing and my fingers typing lists and lists and lists!
As a means to get back to my blogging habit this week after a few days of visiting with family, I thought I would share my lists from each day last week …
- Energy to clean my house
- The fragrances of home (Pumpkin Spice Candle, roasting meat, clean laundry)
Day Two -10-06-09-Tuesday
- Friends from 30 years ago who are celebrating birthdays today
- Heirloom china
- Fog—love it
- Room-darkening curtains
- A husband who thinks I'm hot
- A life busy enough to be called blessed!
- Friends who welcome me
- Fresh fruit at the market
- Parents who've been married 45 years today!
- In-laws who understand the concept of personal space.
- Kids who love tolerate me even when I'm cranky!
- Beautiful fall weather
- Spending time in an open field surrounded by trees and sunshine, taking photos of a gorgeous family!
- Salsa Verde Braised Pork, very possibly the easiest dinner ever
Day Seven 10-11-09-Sunday
- Children who desire God
- God's provision in unexpected ways
- Forgiveness and grace
To simply be grateful makes simply LIVING so much better! Agreed? What are you grateful for today?